My favourite week of the whole year is the week between Christmas and New Year. Seven days of excitement, of rushing around apily, tying up loose ends and sketching out plans for the year ahead. It’s the time I get tough with my to do list, ditching all those permending items in favour of more realistic, achievable objectives. It’s a week full of hope; a week fueled by reinvention and excitement.
“Pop!” The champagne bursts free and we clink and embrace – here’s to 2015! I tell my husband that one of my (many, as always) New Year’s resolutions is to make up a new word. Actually, you know what? I’ll make up a new one every day in January. How hard can it be? He kwinks at me lovingly. Knowingly. Another mad idea.
We sit and sip our champagne, watching the fireworks and letting the grunkles melt away from our faces – it’s as if the evening’s celebrations are wiping out all of 2014’s negativity. It’s technically 2015 already, but the new start will come when we wake up. (Which gives us free reign to carry on enjoying the bubbles and snacks, one last time.)
After an unusually lazy lie-in, we are woken by the sound of two needy cats scratching the bedroom door. Even more unusually, we let them in and they leap onto the bed, bunting and preowing away, enjoying the cuddly attention (and giving me some wordspiration). Their pawing tickles, giving me a movitch that won’t sit still, so I jump up, ready to face the day. The year.
Like many people, I intend to be super fit and healthy in 2015. It’s nothing new, of course – I’ve been on a pretty intense training schedule for over a year now – but January adds something of a shine to the regime. I’ll be doing a lot more chegging and scoffing far less chocolate this month. I boil the kettle and put a couple of eggs in a pan, with a big grin on my not-so-grumpled face.
Hello, 2015. It’s nice to meet you.
Words of week one
- Preow (v.) – to purr and meow simultaneously
Also (n.) – the noise made by purring and meowing simultaneously
- Permending (adj.) – permanently awaiting decision or settlement; permanently pending
- Kwink (v.) – to wink and air kiss simultaneously, usually directed at a person
- Movitch (n.) – an itch that starts in one place and moves when scratched, evading relief
- Chegg (v.) – the practice of eating mostly chicken and eggs. Common in bodybuilding and strength training
- Apily (adv.) – like a bee; to do something in a bee-like manner
- Grunkle (n.) – a small furrow or ridge on a smooth surface, usually a face, caused by grumpiness
Bonus (made in the writing of this article): Wordspiration (n.) – a word-inspiring influence; something that inspires the creation or use of words.
What do you think? How am I doing? What’s the best word so far? This is more fun than I could have imagined.